Saturday, January 13, 2007

As a home business owner, you may be required to file estimated tax returns and pay estimated taxes quarterly.

As a home business owner, you may be required to file estimated tax returns and pay estimated taxes quarterly. If you have employees, you also have to submit taxes withheld from employee paychecks. Here are some of the taxes you may be responsible for:Employment taxes -- Federal income taxes, Social Security and Medicare, federal unemployment and state income taxes.Federal self-employment tax--Required by those who work for themselves to cover Social Security and Medicare contributions.Sales tax--Each state requires a sales tax number for any company involved in selling tangible items. Sales tax is collected, reported and paid to the state either monthly or quarterly.Unemployment insurance tax -- You are required to pay federal and state unemployment taxes if you have more than one employee on the books for at least 20 weeks in a calendar year, or if they have paid more than $1,500 in gross wages in a calendar quarter.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this post. I'll have to keep it in mind because I plan on running my own business soon. I know it’ll be challenging, but I’m up for it and will appreciate all the help I could get with the ins and outs of running a business. Instead of starting one from scratch, I've thought of buying a business. Any suggestions? Advice? Thanks.